Tearfund is making HIV one of its top priorities in its response to tackling poverty.
Five niche areas
Tearfund’s HIV strategy has five specific areas to focus its work. In some areas, churches can address these issues directly, such as caring for those affected by HIV and ending stigma and discrimination. In other areas, such as promoting access to treatment, churches can support the efforts of government or faith-based health services by educating their communities and supporting people in going for testing and treatment. The following ideas are all examples of initiatives by local churches around the world joining the response to HIV. Churches may reflect on the needs in their communities and their own capacities to consider which activities are most appropriate to their context.
1. Ending stigma and discrimination (PDF 69 KB)
2. Promoting access to treatment (PDF 80 KB)
3. Caring for those affected by HIV, including widows and orphans (PDF 109 KB)
4. Preventing mother(parent-) to-child transmission of HIV (PDF 77 KB)
5. Promoting positive behaviour among children and young people, including comprehensive prevention approaches (PDF 95 KB)
See also the Tearfund Good Practice Guide on five key areas for HIV response
Making a difference
Click here for a summary of Tearfund’s HIV strategy: Making a difference (PDF 270 KB)