Caring creatively for God’s world
The Bible says a lot about how we relate to the Earth on which we live. This has implications for our attitude towards it and how we care for it.
Read Genesis 1 The Earth and all that God has made is ‘very good’ (Genesis 1:31).
- How does this help us to see that spoiling the beauty of the Earth is wrong?
Read Psalm 24
- If we start to see the world as God’s and not ours, how might we treat it differently?
Read Genesis 1:26-28 and 2:15
- What do these verses say about our relationship with the rest of creation?
- How might we reflect God’s character by being creative in our care for the world?
Read Exodus 23:10-11 and Deuteronomy 20:19-20 and 22:6
God has set limits to our use of the natural world. We should no longer see it as something to pollute or waste.
It can be easy to fall into despair with all the problems of pollution and the lack of care for God’s creation.
Read Psalm 8, Psalm 104 and Psalm 145 Think about God’s goodness in creation, God’s faithfulness to his people and God’s provision for all needs.
- How do these things bring hope rather than despair?
Bob Carling is a freelance science editor working for a number of science publishers. He also runs a branch of a new media company, using new ways of communicating using computer and internet technology.