Servants of the King.
Read Matthew 20:20-28.
Each of us needs to develop humility and servanthood in our Christian life. We need to be witnesses by what we do – not just by what we say – even if those all around us act differently.
- Why do you think the mother of James and John asked for a special favour?
- How did Jesus respond to their request? What does this tell us about Jesus’ idea of leadership?
- What impact did this request have on the other disciples?
- Have there been similar situations within our work or church?
- What kind of leadership does Jesus refer to in verse 28? Is this the model of leadership we have found in our church?
- Discuss what this model of leadership would look like in the workplace, in the family, in the church and in the community.
- What are the key characteristics of a servant leader?
- How is Jesus a model for a good facilitator?
- How do both we and our church need to change to reflect more of the servant attitude of Jesus?
Read Galatians 5:22-23
- How closely do the skills needed by good facilitators resemble the gifts of the Spirit?
- How can we encourage these gifts in our own lives?
Dewi Hughes is theological advisor for Tearfund. Tulo Raistrick is a church and development consultant advising churches on integral mission and community involvement.