There is no single ideal design for a well-functioning school, so this tool does not give step-by-step instructions on how to build one.
Instead, it provides guiding principles and the key questions to be asking when planning to establish a school:
- Is a new school or building really needed?
- How do we ensure the full participation and input from stakeholders?
- What size should the school be, and what facilities does it need?
- Where should it be built? What services and infrastructure are needed?
- How will it be governed, funded and maintained?
- How do we ensure quality of learning?
- How do we prioritise the protection of children?
- How do we plan the building to maximise safety and comfort?