God created food to nourish our bodies, bring us pleasure and strengthen our relationships as we eat together.
Throughout the Bible God instructs his people to feast as part of their worship (eg Leviticus 23). We use food in holy communion to remind us of our union with Jesus (Luke 22:19). And we look forward to the wedding feast in heaven when we, the bride, will be joined with Jesus, our bridegroom, forever (Revelation 19:9).
Relax and eat
When we are experiencing anxiety, negative thoughts, trauma or pain, stress chemicals are released in our body. These affect our digestive systems so we cannot digest food properly or absorb the nutrients it contains. By involving God in our meals, we can help our bodies to relax and make the most of the food we are eating.
Here are some ideas for how to do this.
- Set aside time to eat so you will not be distracted by work, television and other things. Welcome God to be present with you.
- Prepare the food and the table or eating space so they look attractive.
- Sit comfortably and thank God for his rest.
- Eat with those you enjoy being with, and thank God for them.
- You could play worship in the background or sing a song together.
- Take several slow, deep breaths and receive God’s peace.
- Thank God for the food he has provided.
- Eat your food slowly and enjoy it! Notice the flavours, textures and variety of God’s creation in your meal.