At a glance
Tearfund’s focus on livelihoods and agriculture supports people to gain the skills, resources and self-confidence they need to be more self-sufficient, participate in markets and lift themselves out of poverty.
Agriculture is the primary livelihood for many communities living in poverty. But the problems faced by small-scale farmers often stop them from producing enough food or generating sufficient income for their families. This absence of food security and proper nutrition makes it difficult for people to flourish.
These resources share environmentally sustainable ways of generating income for communities and individuals:
- sustainable farming principles,
- guides on minimising post-harvest losses
- best practices for livestock and poultry
- how to build gardens which produce food all year round
- techniques to preserve food
- scriptural insights into the significance of healthy eating
Also included are resources to equip facilitators and communities with the tools to start self-help groups (SHGs) such as savings and credit groups, livestock associations, and grain bank groups. These groups have proven to have a transformational impact on local communities, helping people to:
- restore broken relationships
- improve spiritual wellbeing
- build economic resilience following a disaster
- empower women financially
- establish sustainable livelihoods
The resources also share creative ideas about how to start businesses to improve livelihoods.